EbberstonNORTH YORKSHIRE

Grade I listed · 1718

Ebberston Hall

A Palladian mansion in miniature — widely called England's smallest stately home, and the reason many visitors slow down on the A170.

Please note: Ebberston Hall is a private home

Ebberston Hall is a private residence and is not open to the public. Please respect the owners' privacy — it can be admired from the A170 and from the churchyard of St Mary's.

There are no public open days, and this guide does not publish contact details for the owners. Please enjoy the Hall from the public road and the churchyard, and do not enter the grounds or drive.

A Rustick Edifice

Ebberston Hall was designed by the architect Colen Campbell in 1718 as a summer villa for William Thompson, MP for Scarborough and Warden of the Mint. Campbell himself described it as "a Rustick Edifice", and illustrated it in his great architectural survey Vitruvius Britannicus in 1725.

Campbell is one of the defining figures of English Palladianism — he also designed Houghton Hall, Mereworth Castle and Stourhead. Ebberston is his work at the smallest possible scale, which is precisely what makes it remarkable: a full architectural statement compressed into a villa.

The building

The Hall is one storey over a basement, three bays wide, faced in vermiculated rusticated sandstone, with a grand sweeping external staircase rising to the entrance. It was originally flanked by two small pavilions, demolished in the early 19th century; the quadrant walls intended to connect them to the house were never built at all. The cupola was dismantled in 1905.

The water garden

The Hall once had a celebrated early-18th-century formal water garden running north up the dale — a long canal with cascades, attributed to Stephen Switzer and Charles Bridgeman. The grounds are now a Grade II* registered park and garden.

The Squire of England

A later owner, George Osbaldeston — the celebrated all-round sportsman known as "the Squire of England" — reputedly bartered the Hall's furniture piece by piece at the Grapes Inn "at the end of the drive" for drink, when he fell into debt. The Hall was eventually rescued from dereliction after Major William de Wend-Fenton bought it in 1941.